Sunday, October 4, 2009

“Right on time”

Convocation was great! And it couldn't have come at a better time. For me it was much more then an official start to the school year. It was more of a reassurance! Over the pass couple of days before convocation, I began to question my decision to come to Howard, asking myself if this was the right place for me. I will admit a small part of me was missing home and thought about trading it all in just to be a little closer to home, but that wasn't it. I’ve been told by many, "Howard is one of those places you will either love or hate"! At that moment I had my mind made up I was going to hate it, because it seemed so cliquish and a bit like high school. Friday morning quickly approached, my alarm went off and I thought to myself "I’m not getting up to go to convocation, I’m way too tired". Eventually after a bowl of coco puffs I got myself together and headed across the yard to Cramton auditorium. When I entered the auditorium I could instantly feel the pride of being apart of the Howard family. People of all ages where there, excited and waiting for the program to start. Finally, the band started played and the staff marched it. President Ribeau started by welcoming the class of 2013, then went on to explain that convocation represents the official opening of the school year and this year was very important because it was the 40th year of black studies at the university. He closed by telling the class of 2013 to size the opportunity of being apart of the Howard family, because a Howard education is not just a degree, its more about earning an experience.  The alumnus and Bermuda Premier Dr. Brown was honored at the convocation, and gave an amazing speech to speech to welcome the class of 2013. Forty-five years ago Dr. Brown was sitting in the audience being welcomed to Howard University. He explained to us that the seat we were sitting in today would start our journey into the future by focusing on three major qualities reflection, preparation, and commitment. While sitting in the seat he wanted us to reflect on the people that sat in these seats before us, such as 1st African-American Justice of the Supreme Court, Thurgood Marshall; the 1st African-American US Senator, Ed Brooke, Phylicia Rashad, Debbi Allen, Taraji Henson, and P. Diddy. These were just a few people he recognized. While reflecting on those that came before us we should be proud and embrace the rich and powerful legacy left behind. We also need to use these seats to prepare and commit ourselves to meet the complex challenges of the world, and to aim for academic success. Towards the end of his speech Dr. Brown told us to ask ourselves, “what will your journey be?” and “how will we make this legacy live on?”  Once we can answer those questions for our self, we will know our purpose at Howard. Convocation made me realize that I made the right decision to come to Howard and building friendships here will come with time, but right now I need to focus on how I will take part in making the legacy at Howard live on. The Howard experience is more then just and education and I am learning everyday that it is something I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to have at any other university. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm glad convocation had that effect on you, and I'm glad you went. You'll adjust to HU soon enough. And you'll get home when you need to. Howard's an incredible place, and we're honored to have you here to add to the legacy. Dream big, think big, be big!

    ReplyDelete